Wednesday, March 7, 2007

First Day of Class

I got the "Pimsleur" Mandarin series levels 1-3 today. They're supposed to be one of the best resources in helping people learn Mandarin so we'll see if it actually makes any difference and if I think I should still go to classes or not. They are a bunch of mp3 files that makes the listener repeat and understand what it just said.

I went to work today and when I got there, my boss' daughter would not stop looking/smiling at me. She apparently has a bad case of Darylitis because later she even asked me if I had a girlfriend and she kept following me around all day. Although she was REALLY cute I told her that I was sorry but I actually did have a girlfriend (you're welcome, Katie). It also didn't help that she was 6 years old. Her mom started talking about how much her daughter liked me and the daughter got very embarrassed and tried to cover her mom's mouth. hah

I taught 5 classes throughout the day and time just flies when you're teaching. We did introductions first, obviously. During my first class one kid started crying because another kid made fun of his name. I was like "Oh what did I get myself into??" but it ended up being alright. So I started teaching and when you teach, you should incorporate games so that it's not just one boring exercise after another. In a few classes I did a boys versus girls point system type game and in another class we played Jenga. It's interesting to finally be on the other side of the learning table and now I have a better understanding of what my teachers have to go through. It's also interesting to see what kind of games entertain little kids' brains. It makes you a bit nostalgic.

So anyway, after teaching the first couple of classes I sort of got into the swing of things and it was a lot easier than I thought. I negotiated for a better wage (boosted it up to 600NT/hour) and tomorrow I'm interviewing at a school down the street for a Thursday/Friday job that provides 5 hours a week.

By the way, Danica, I know what you meant! Even though I live in the center of the universe for technological goods I still don't have a digital camera. I stole that beer picture from somewhere else. It may be a while till you see any pictures of anything substantial because I am po.

3 comments:

sleepy dreamer said...

LOL....ah yes...bust out the Urban dictionary...hahaha (wipe tear).

your baby sister said...

THO CYOOT
Hey, where do you live in Taiwan?

p.s. hi dan <3

kanasian said...

hey now the elders are reading. i gotta keep them in the loop somehow..