Sunday, April 8, 2007

Uncle Leo's Visit

We just had a four day weekend for the "tomb sweeping holiday". Tomb sweeping day was on Thursday and Friday wasn't technically a holiday but we still got the day off. However, we have to make up one day of class this coming Saturday, which is unfortunate.

Andy, the guy who owns the apartment I'm staying in, came back and we drove around Nankan and got some food at a couple restaurants. Uncle Leo also came back to Taiwan for a couple days along with my aunt, Michelle, and my four year old cousin, Celine. Celine is four years old now and Michelle has another baby in the oven and it's (don't know if it's a boy or girl yet) due in September. On Thursday night we got some traditional Taiwanese food, including frog, which I probably couldn't order by myself if I had to and afterwards went to talk and drink some tea.

On Saturday we met up again for dinner at a Thai restaurant with one of Uncle Leo's co-workers, Michael. The food there was great and I may go back someday but I feel a bit strange going to a Thai restaurant while I'm in Taiwan, haha. After dinner Michael left and Uncle Leo and I went to go get matching shoulder and foot massages while Michelle went to wash her hair with Selene. The massages were great but took a little...getting used to. Uncle Leo lucked out and get the female masseuse while I got the guy, but it wasn't that bad. The guy was telling us about all the bad things that I shouldn't be doing, all of which I do. It was pretty strange that he could tell so much about me just by touching my feet.

After that, I got dropped off at the bus stop and took the bus home. While waiting for the bus, I was talking to Uncle Leo on the phone because I forgot to get a copy of Michelle's resident certificate that I need for extending my visa. After a hung up the phone some girl came up to me and asked me if I was in line. Her name is Carol. She's around my age, Taiwanese, speaks a little English, and lives about a five minute walk from my apartment but goes to Taipei a lot. We exchanged numbers and we might meet up again and maybe I can pick up more Mandarin from her. When I got back I slept like a baby. Hopefully Uncle Leo and his family will be back before I leave because we definitely have to see each other again.


3 comments:

your baby sister said...

LING LING
She's so big! Anyways, her name is spelled Celine, I think, like Celine Dion. I hope you're not leading Carol on...

sleepy dreamer said...

AWW!! I miss Uncle Leo...and I've never met Celine...she looks SO CUTE!!!!!!!

Your Baby sis....Relax!! Nothing wrong with getting to know more friends...right Katie?!?! =)

Anonymous said...

Trying to read, but no one is writing??

Daryl, you haven't been writing for almost a month now?? Too busy getting to know your friends??